Green Chile Verde
- 1 pound pork shoulder cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 1 jar Bunches & Bunches Green: Fire-Roasted Chile Sauce
- 1 small yellow onion, large dice
- 1 large or 2 small roasted poblano peppers, large dice (directions below)
- 1 bunch cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 lime
- 3 Tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Roast the poblanos. Place the pepper/peppers directly on the flames of a gas stove or blow torch, turning occasionally, until entire surface of all the peppers are BLACK! Put the peppers in a bowl while they are still hot, cover tightly with plastic wrap or a plate, and set aside for 10-15 minutes. Wipe off the charred skin (leaving a little is OK it adds flavor). Remove all the seeds and stem and large dice.
2. Heat the olive oil in a medium sized Dutch oven until very lightly smoking. Working in batches, season and brown pork on all sides being careful not to burn the bottom of the pan. Set the pork aside.
3. Reduce heat to medium-high, add the onions and saute for about 2-4 minutes. Add the peppers and the pork. Add the Bunches & Bunches Green: Fire-Roasted Chile Sauce and and half a jar of water. Stir and bring to a boil, cover tightly, and place in the oven for 2 hours, or until the pork just starts to fall apart. Be sure to check after the first hour, if it looks too dry add a little water. Remove from the oven, stir in the cilantro, lime juice, and serve with tortillas and toppings of your choice (we like sour cream, and diced tomatoes and avocado).
Serves 3-4, but can be doubled for 6-8. Enjoy!
Love, B & B
Recipe by Mark Slawson & Tamalpais Roth-McCormick
Photo: Alder & Co.